Here are our 3 nurses Derri, Elyse and Khusbou and our Dentist Leah and our Hygienist Anita raising awareness for mouth cancer month with their blue lips!!
1st November 2021-30th November 2021 is Mouth Cancer Awareness. It is supported by the Mouth Cancer Foundation and the Oral Health Foundation. Get ready to raise awareness!
Signs and Symptoms of mouth cancer-
These are some things to look out for:
• Ulcers that do not heal within 3 weeks
• Pain or discomfort in the mouth
• Lumps and swellings of no obvious cause in the mouth or neck
• Red or white patches inside the mouth
• Persistent coughing or the feeling that something is ‘stuck’ in the throat
• Difficulty or pain with swallowing, chewing or moving the jaw
(Please be aware these symptoms may be a cause of something else, not just mouth cancer, if you are worried with any of these symptoms then please contact your doctor or dentist) .
Some things that are a risk factor to mouth cancer-
• Tobacco use is the main cause of mouth cancer. Drinking and smoking together can make mouth cancer up to 30 times more likely to develop.
• Poor diet and social deprivation is linked to a third of all cancer cases.
• Exposure to the sun is a cause of skin cancer which can affect the lips and face.
When you come to your routine examination your dentist will do an oral cancer screening. The things they will check for are-
• Moles and spots that get bigger, become hard or start to bleed
• Changes to the colour or texture of the skin.